GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Sunday 27 November 2011

Not Many Once Again on the Sundays Boys Ride..

Mini Tour Day 7.

It's Sunday and I bet all those cyclists that could have come on my little mini tour up to Taupo and didn't will be kicking themselves now. The reason being that it is a picture perfect day for the start of my ride back towards Wellington along the central plateau.

M.U.M looks great. Mountains are kind of nice too.


Whereas my roadie friends will be doing their Sunday training rides around suburbia I am zooming past non extinct volcanoes with a light tail wind and not a care in the world. Almost not a care in the world. I did notice after the race on Saturday that my rear tyre has taken a bit of a hammering and I'm hoping it will get me back home. (Another tyre will blow the budget that I have so far managed to keep).

Anyway the weather today was perfect and I managed to knock off 150kms by 3pm with stops. I could have kept going but the problems with that would be two fold. The first being that I would be camped behind a bush on the main road somewhere instead of the quiet little motor camp that I am currently in and secondly I would arrive at the dreaded ferry terminal early. I am just not that keen to get back on the Cook Strait ferry.

The other Volcano.(NZers know what I Mean)


Much as I want to be back in my beloved Adi's arms I just know its going to be Southerly gales when I get back to Wellington and my dinner will be ending up all over the deck.

Talking of Adi. When I first started this mini tour (the first one that I have ever had to blog on) , I thought that fitting everything in to a day would be the problem. And true enough that is tough. But much harder will be putting up with my cooking for extended periods. I knew there must be a reason for man to take woman on adventure holidays. I'm getting used to stodgy rice but I'm going to have to have a break from it tomorrow. Maybe Chinese.

Mt Nghera.. ..Call it Volcano 2


I got passed on the road today by all the weekend bike racers and although a number tooted and acknowledged me by and large once you put a rack , mudguards or bag on your bike you cease to exist to your average 'race'. I was thinking also as I cycled along sports cyclists are a bit like weekend boaties  once you get 50kms from a main centre or out of sight of land you really see them unless they have vehicle support. So today once I hit that magic number from Taupo there were no cyclists to be seen except in cars going by.

Shame really because today's ride was so much nicer than yesterdays wind blasted ride around the Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment