GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Friday 21 October 2011

The Green Grocer.

Today I had reason to cycle 30kms to the green grocer's shop. Normally I wouldn't be seen dead in a health shop or organic shop like the one pictured, since I partake only in foods that are cheap and ones you get a big bang of calories for your buck. Something troubles me deep down inside about paying top dollar for some spuds or carrots just because they've been grown in soil certified free of everything evil known to man.

Always Plenty of Room in the Bike Rack at the Health Food Shop.

But Adi needed some Rice Syrup. Apparently Rice Syrup is the only thing that will successfully stick her homemade slice together. Unfortunately for me you can't get this stuff from the supermarket only from the Greene shop. And because it comes from the Greene shop it must be hand squeezed by Amazonian princesses, because it costs an arm and a leg!I think the organic Greene shop must be one of the few businesses that has a higher mark up than  pharmacies, that I also seldom go.

But anyway while I was outside guarding the bikes and waiting for Adi to come out with the liquid gold I couldn't help but make some observations about the sort of people that frequent these sort of shops. And I must say I am totally confused. I thought that your average organic vegey lover was a planet hugging, un-materialistic , kind hearted person merrily skipping along in his or her bear feet totally focused on what's good for planet Earth.

Everything you need to Know About having a Baby

Kids On the Premises. But Luckily all Food is Wrapped.

Instead you see an empty bike rack while patrons turn up in four wheel drives.  Notice boards on the shop windows shout the joys of producing more babies in a world groaning under the weight of human offspring. I have never really managed to fathom this one. No one I've talked to over the years in this country has been able to explain to me how having kids is in any way helps our planet overcome its problems. When I brought it up with my mother as a teenager she said "if you're smart Niel you'll spent your time on your bike and not even think about having kids, and for that matter keep away from Cathy fisher next door!" And then later being in the cycling club and not in the college rugby or rowing club was all the contraception I needed.

Still later, after many thousands of miles on my bike, I think my virility was finally tamed for good.(not that I've seriously tried to make a little 'Niel the Wheel' you understand).

Anyway I've just put it down to the fact that organic Greene types just want to live forever ,reproduce their own genes,  keep as much of the planet alive long enough for their kids to see it and sod everything else.

I on the other hand just want to ride my bike on deserted roads and sod everything else except Coke and chocolate. (or ice cream on a hot day).

I think I've lost the plot sufficiently today except to say that Adi is very jealous of the fact that I have readers from such far away countries as Ukraine, Russia, Sweden and Georgia. To name a few. All I can say to that is I hope one day to cycle in those amazing places.

I tell you if I was cycling the Ukraine a carrot would go in the pot whether it was organic or not. No hesitation there. But for now I just have to focus on getting up early enough this Sunday to make the group training ride!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Niel. I can never understand why some of the most materialistic people are "organic-obsessed". It seems to be just another extension of their need to demonstrate their wealth and success rather than a genuine concern about the state of the planet. If they were concerned about the quality of the food they were eating they would be growing their own! Speaking of which, we have set up the most awesome raised vege beds and the compost bins for all of the horse poo is next on the list. The good life is beckoning....! Jane

    ReplyDelete