GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Tuesday 9 August 2011

The BoB Trailer

I was talking to John, one of the cycle reps that routinely visit the cycle shop, the other day and he showed some surprise that I was taking my BOB trailer on the around the world bike trip. He rightfully pointed out that having a third wheel behind my bike would no doubt slow my progress forward somewhat. Initially I gave little thought to this as I have been using my trusty BOB for the last 15years and it's always carted my stuff faithfully.

But later I thought. Has it carted my stuff efficiently or have I been fooling myself? Could the BOB be another one of these so called new inventions in cycling that is just a complete marketing fabrication sold to gullible consumers? It's been so long since I've used panniers that I'm kind of forgetting what they were like. I do remember that panniers made quite a bit of noise , that the whole machine flexed a bit when I rode out of the saddle and there was always the worry of breaking racks etc. I have to also acknowledge that all my other cycle tours have been with companions not hell bent on riding hard and as fast as I would have to in this event. After all you can't afford to dawdle too much when riding around the world . The cat will no longer recognise you on your final return and the bike shop will give your job to a freckly faced teenager who can ride down hills quickly and recite full suspension travel distances.

BOB Repairs.
So there I was repairing the BOB pondering on all this. BOB trailers are generally regarded as a robust worry free way to carry gear and mine has generally performed well. However I can't help thinking that (as in the case of many products) the BOB people obviously don't test there stuff in the field enough, or ask advise from the wrong people. Because my BOB had obvious defects which I could mention. But then what would BOB's research and development section do tomorrow.

By the time I'd re glued and sewn the bag handles on and laced the steel mesh under the trailer with stainless steel tracer (The mesh cracks away from the trailer frame after a time), I'd decided for my next trip I'd go back to panniers.

I think I will use the classic set up of low riders on the front and normal panniers on the back immediately saving myself 7kgs of trailer weight and the drag of that third wheel.

While I was punishing myself with these weighty issues Adi was busy doing a spot of pruning.

Adi Hard at Work.

I'm not quite sure of what the neighbour will think of Adi's pruning pile but I'm  sure that it will not go totally unnoticed. She's a busy little beaver. I hope she's got the energy for a bike ride tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment