GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Saturday 9 July 2011

Re-conditioning Time.

The old pottery part of Potter's End needs new carpet. It's called the old pottery because that's what it was once used for . But in fact it's the newest of the buildings on the Potter's End property.It was probably built in the late 1970's. Adi and I  live in the old villa which was built in the 1870's and was the main reason we bought the whole place in the 1990's. We both liked the old rimu floors and sunny verandas. My mother took one look at the place and promptly told me that the villa was too old and what on earth will you do with the other buildings Niel? My father said nothing. My brother said I should always buy the worst house in the best street. And my mates at work reckoned I should truck the villa off somewhere else and sell it for a tidy profit. I just liked the way my bike looked parked in the driveway. And it also helped that the owner at the time was a fellow bike racer and the real estate agent was the president of the local wheelers cycle club.

So the deal was done and we all went out bike racing.

An Empty Pottery.

While I empty out for new carpet I can keep an eye on whose out training on the local racing circuit.

I'm suppose to be looking into Visas for our trip this week but seem to have spent the time fixing things and working at the bike shop. The bike shop is pretty quiet being mid winter but at least we have the time to chat with the punters and joke about whats happening in the Tour de France. In fact if it wasn't for the bike shop regulars I wouldn't know what was happening in the TDF. Brian copies it for me because he has Sky and other customers always manage to fill me in on whats happening, usually before Adi and I have watched it.

Adi & Bob Watch the TDF.
Meanwhile the auto machine shop rang me to ask if I could take the bits for my kombi away. They reckon they have done all they can. I could tell by looking into their eyes that they thought if I could get that VW back together it would be a miracle. I asked them if there was anything I should know before I started putting all the bits together. They said I should put plenty of lubricant on everything! Well that's not rocket science is it. They also advised me that if I do manage to get it all back together that I should use it more than once a year. Now I was impressed with that advise because it showed that they obviously knew me better than I thought. The kombi is absolutely imperative in my plans to take my Mercian to distant MTB trails and have a comfy base camp after the ride. Nothing like a bed for the night after wine-ing and dinning in classic style. Other than that what use is a vehicle?

All These Bits.......
So once its together I'll have to figure out what I can use it for once a fortnight.

Have To Go In This End.

Adi dragged me along to the local newspaper office last week to describe how I am going to cycle around the world in next to no time and become the next world record holder. But all I could think about was how I was going to get a camshaft , crankshaft and two VW heads on my BOB trailer as well as my share of the weekly groceries.These motor bits are quite heavy and unless you balance the whole thing pretty carefully when you add 5 litres of milk and Adi's favorite cartons of yoghurt you can come a cropper.

Until next week.














































































































































































nn

No comments:

Post a Comment