GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Thursday 2 June 2011

Planning, Planning, Planning

The other day I was back at the bike shop tidying the events board and sorting the magazines when one of my fellow workers came up to me and said "Hey Niel there's a long distance cycle tour/race next year from Cape Reinga to Bluff, you'd be interested in that wouldn't you?"

I'm sure my  work mates still don't believe me when I say that I am racing around the world next year.
I'm convinced  that they are are just not taking me seriously!

"Yes G that race would suit me if it wasn't for one small detail, I WILL BE RACING AROUND THE WORLD NEXT YEAR!"

In fact if I'm on schedule I should be passing through New Zealand about this time next year.  I'm sure that when I stick my head into the bike shop on the way through after completing half way around the world, the boys will say "Hi Niel, what are you up too?"

"I'M CYCLING AROUND THE WORLD"

"OK" they'll say "See you tomorrow"

Time will tell. The same sort of thing happens with my brother and sister. I'll shoot off an email to say what I'm planning and either receive an email back with no mention of it or something to the effect that they've just cycled this or that and that maybe I should maybe give this cycling a go.



So just to convince myself that I'm not living in a dream, the maps come out and the planning is once again tackled.

I have to admit that the Adi has done most of the preliminary course planning. Whereas I find it quite depressing hearing that I have to cycle on average 180kms per day, Adi I feel gets  a certain degree  of pleasure out of it. I'll stay in denial a bit longer.

One things for sure. I can't call it all off now. Too many people know about it and one cannot loose face.

No comments:

Post a Comment