GLOBAL CYCLE EVENT

In a world increasingly preoccupied with throwaway materialistic things; where people are constantly busy earning money to pay for those things, or so their children can have those things;
This is the story of my dreams of travelling the world by bicycle. Because it's there. And because I dont want to die without experiencing the truly important things in life .

A sense of wonder and a sense of adventure.

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Friends Are Great

Just when you feel a bit down and overwhelmed by the whole idea of shipping a vespa motor cycle to the other side of the world. And the thought of all the things that could go wrong with it as we travel across Europe and Asia. Good stuff happens.

Three separate parcels arrive for Niel the Wheel at work!

This book is a great read. No Ortlieb panniers here.
The first was from 'Scottish Git'.' Scottish Git' is not a follower of my blog. But he could well be a reader. I don't know were Scottish Git got his name from but I have a strong suspicion that I gave it to him principally because he hails from Scotland. Initially I could only decipher about 2/3's of what he was saying often miss interpreting the critical pieces of the conversation. But I immediately took a liking to Sam. He was a true cycling enthusiast, had a great sense of humour,and had even owned a Vespa and had toured on it in Greece. Sam dropped in a book he thought I'd be interested in called 'Travels With Rosinante' which I've started reading. Reading about other peoples cycle travels around the world always encourages me. If they can do it so can I. Thanks for that Sam.

The next little package came from Brian S. Brian drops off DVD's for me because he knows that I am too tight to get Sky TV on.These are DVD's of cycle races that he copies off for me.Adi and i are currently watching the Tour du Dauphine. A couple of weeks ago Brian dropped off the Paris - Roubaix. These DVD's are doubly appreciated because my Vodafone download package only allows 2GB which doesn't go far when I start watching U-tube cycle videos and Adi watches Italian studs on Vespas .When we go cycling overseas we can always rely on Brian to have the Tour de France on DVD for us on our return.

Around the World on Ordinaries.

The third package that arrived for me so far is a mystery? It arrived yesterday from Australia. A book detailing Keith Dunstan's joy of cycling.It's awesome and I can only guess at this stage that it is from Jack and Lauren Dunstan who live in Melbourne. Lauren and Jack are a couple who Adi and I met while cycling in the US last year. Lauren and Jack were cycling right across the US following Jacks grandfathers cycle trip many years before.Jacks obviously not a man of many words as there was no note with the book and I've received no email to say it was coming. I'll contact Jack shortly to confirm it. Once again it's a cracker book and I will read it once I finish Scottish Gits book. It was great to meet Lauren and Jack fellow antipodean cycle travellers, while cycling in a country that at times to me, made no sense at all.I sensed that at times Jack like myself was struggling with some aspects of the American way of life. Anyway taking the piss out of an Aussie is always good and takes your mind off the road ahead. Lauren was from Ireland and I remember her telling me that her mother instilled in her that she should marry a man with good prospects and settle down. I'm sure that must relate to Jack some how. (just kidding Jack) . It must be an English /Irish mother thing as my Mum reckoned I should settle down with a nice varsity graduate. Luckily for me Adi found me first!

I'm hoping to touch bases with Jack and Lauren again next year as I cycle across Aussie for a second time. I just cant get enough of the place. Get your cycle shoes on guys.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Niel,

    Glad the book got to you. It came from a second hand bookseller, so posting a note would have been a little tricky. I'm surprised it got to you as quick as it did, I should have warned you. Anyway some nice tales about cycling in there, Seeing you're a fan of hand built English frames, there's a nice story of Keith having a Jack Taylor touring tandem built and it costing (following import duty and all the campy upgrades) costing as much as a small house did. It was hard to break that news to my Grandmother. Cycling and marital harmony don't always go together....

    Anyways, happy pedaling, happy reading,

    Jack.

    ReplyDelete